The free zone authority or the respective Department of Economic Development will have a set of rules on the permitted trade names and whether the intended name has already been registered.
For example: twofour54 does not allow ‘Abu Dhabi’ and/or ‘United Arab Emirates’ in the name of the FZ-LLC or the branch.
DMCCs too have a list of restricted trade names.
The general guidelines for the DED to approve a proposed trade name are:
- should not violate the public morals or the public order of the country
- should be followed by the legal form of the company, for example (LLC, FZE, DMCC etc.)
- has not been previously registered
- is compatible with the required type of activity and legal status
- should not contain names of any religion, or governing authority, nor names or logos of any external bodies